Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Uh Video Games

In all honesty, I don't think I've ever been shocked by a video game, song, or TV show for it's violence, racism/cultural insensitivity, or misogyny. Call me desensitized, but I am only shocked by things that actually directly reflect the writers views, so some news outlets or YouTube videos, or perhaps an unsuccessful joke, but I find that most games, music, and TV shows fail to do this. Part of the reason why I am yet to be significantly offended by such things is perhaps because I haven't watched/listened to the most controversial video games, songs, and TV shows. I think that almost any joke is good if it is funny enough and that almost any joke will offend someone or another.

Games and media are made with one purpose, to entertain, while making profit of course. Part of this entertainment requires controversial images and representations to be presented. Personally, I disagree with calling video games sexist by portraying women with "unrealistic proportions." This is simply because I find that for just as many unproportional women in video games, there are just as many overly muscly men. If anything these representations of men and women alike only cause desire for a healthier and more fit body. Now I could go into a whole argument countering myself but I'm not going to because I like video games.

I guess one final note is that any complaints people have with video games should be directed at the inner workings of society and not the games themselves. For it is us as a culture that designs and determines the acceptability of all video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment