Thursday, April 13, 2017

Martian Chronicles Review



Alright, so today I will be writing a review for The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, and I'm sure all of your are dying to hear it so here it is. I honestly liked this book a lot better than Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. One of the reasons I think I liked The Martian Chronicles better than Dandelion Wine is because of the topic. Not only do I find sci-fi stories about Mars to be more interesting than historical-fiction stories about the early 1900's, but I also think that it's a lot easier to relate to the stories because both Ray Bradbury and I have a similar point of view about mars. Let me explain, from the early 1900's to now a lot has changed regarding how a person born in the early 1900's views the time period and how a person born in the 2000's views the same period, but it also creates a gap of knowledge between the relevant politics, fears, language, and even  popular customs and clothing during that period because while Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine may be able to relate to an audience born in the early 1900's as his references will be relevant and understandable to that audience while I will be left wondering what the heck Dandelion Wine even is (I later learned it was simply Wine made from Dandelions but I had never heard of that before and I'm sure most millennials haven't either.) The Martian Chronicles on the other hand... Because, neither Ray Bradbury or I have actually been to Mars, we both still have the same view point on the red planet, and science hasn't advanced so far since the 19th century  to drastically change anyone's view point on mars drastically, plus if you add in the fact that his book is based more on fiction than on science, it is a lot easier to accept and read. And once I was actually able to read, understand, and relate (intellectually) to the stories of Mars, it was a lot easier to understand and think about the deeper meaning hidden in the stories. Overall I think that The Martian Chronicles is definitely a better read, especially for teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment