Thursday, April 27, 2017

My Thoughts on Fantasy Movies

I have watched many Fantasy movies and read many fantasy books, but I must say I prefer many other genres over fantasy because I, like most people, read and watch fiction in order to escape reality and to imagine what another reality and the characters in that reality are like, however I find that I like to imagine realities that are plausible to occur either in the future or that may have happened in the past. I find it hard to imagine a reality in which dragons, wizards, and magic exists, and therefore am able to connect to the story less as it is less relatable to me in the real world. I have watched many fantasy movies like the Lord of the Rings series, the Harry Potter series, and a bunch of other superhero and magic stories. Overall I found them intriguing but does not bring about real world questions and concerns like sci-fi or realistic fiction does. Also I find that other genres of fiction have a lot more to do with controversial interactions between characters and their environment that cause us to wonder what we would do in that situation where as fantasy has to do more with characters overcoming magical and unrealistic obstacles and challenges. For example one sci-fi movie I watched was passengers and after I watched that I was forced to wonder if I would have woken the girl up in order to improve my life but end up destroying hers where as a fantasy movie like the Lord of the Rings provides a much less interesting question of wood I survive if I were to fight a dragon or something like that. This is most likely due to the fact that Fantasy is primarily based on the interaction between "human" like creatures and monsters which would be a lot harder to create a love story or anything of real emotion since we have a much harder time thinking of loving a dragon or something where as other fictions are based on "human" on "human" relationships which generally bring about more emotion and interesting interactions (at least to me).

No comments:

Post a Comment